"David E. Fox" wrote:

> > I went throught the following drill last week and was successful. Get
> > http://azz.us-lot.org/kernel-drm-4.1.0.tar.gz and compile using:
> >
> >   make linux  (or something like that)
>
> Actually, 'xmkmf ; make -f Makefile.linux'.

  'make -f Makefile.linux' alone also works.

> > The resulting .o files replace those in
> > /lib/modules/2.4.5-3mdk/kernel/drivers/char/drm.
> > Note the i810 module does not get created. You might wish to backup the
>
> I saw some mga files as well. Do these replace the mga directory in
> XF 4.1? Do you still need to get (or copy) the matrox driver from the
> Matrox web site? I did this for X 4.0.3, in addition to building it from
> source.

  I don't know, I copied only the *.0 as described above. But I'll try
  the other mga files and see what happens. I believe the the matrox
driver
  from the matrox web site is required if you want to use the recently
  released 'mgadesk' utility.

> I use a monolithic 2.4.x kernel and am wondering what to do with this
> kernel-drm-4.1.0 file. I built it, but should I just copy files into
> my linux source tree and rebuild?

  No need to rebuild anything. Yesterday, I upgraded to kernel
2.4.5-5mdk
  and the drm files didn't need replacing.

> > Bill
> David E. Fox                              Thanks for letting me
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            change magnetic patterns
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]               on your hard disk.

  Bill