On Sun, 19 May 2002 15:44:54 +1000
Sridhar Dhanapalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Have you used any IBM drives made in the past year? Until about a year ago IBM
> drives were renowned for their reliability, and I used to recommend IBM to all
> my friends. Since then, they have suffered reliability problems, and the return
> rate for IBM drives has been high. There was even a class-action lawsuit
> launched against IBM last year, since so many people's drives failed (I think
> this was settled out of court).
>
> IBM have been first to develop and implement all sorts of new technologies,
> including glass platters and that 'pixie dust' stuff. It looks as if they're
> having major teething problems with these new technologies.
>
> There was some controversy a few weeks ago when IBM placed warnings on their new
> drives indicating that they shouldn't be used for more than eight hours per day.
> If that isn't an indication of poor reliability, then I don't know what is.
>
> With all these quality control problems, and IBM's recent financial woes, I am
> not surprised that they have decided to sell their hard drive unit to Hitachi.

I have a 60GB Deskstar that I got in late Dec.
It is not the 60GXP, which is the drive that IBM had the QC problem with but is based
on either the 75GXP or the 120GXP, most likely the 120GXP.

As to the 120GXP itself the following is from the WatchDog column of this months
(June/82) issue of MaximumPC Mag

"IBM got into hot water with consumers when it published a spec sheet with a
'power-on' rating for its popular 120GXP hard drives.The spec suggested that the hard
drive could be safely left on for a total of just 333 hours a month. The Dog's
investigation has discovered that, despite the published 'power-on' spec, IBM designs
and tests its hard drives to withstand 24 hour-a-day use, and honors such use in its
warranty. IBM has since redacted its spec sheet to remove the inflammatory power
rating."

Currently I have 6 systems running 24/7.
Of 15 hds, 9 are IBM Deskstar and 7 are MaxtorPlus.
The drives ages range from 5 years to 6 months.
In that 5 year span I have suffered only 1 hd failure, a Maxtor, which was replaced.

When in the market for a hd if it is on sale or I want 1 today I get the MaxtorPlus
retail box (IBM is not available locally).
If purchasing on the net I go OEM IBM Deskstar.
In my book they both rate as equals in outstanding quality and performance, and with
the 1 exception I have yet to be disappointed by
either.

     Charles