On Sun, 19 May 2002 08:50:50 -0500, Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Sunday 19 May 2002 02:51 am, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>
> > I did a quick web search and found a few relevant pages:
> >
> > http://theregister.co.uk/content/53/24896.html
> > http://theregister.co.uk/content/archive/22412.html
> > http://news.com.com/2100-1001-866602.html?legacy=cnet&tag=lh
> > http://www.viahardware.com/ibm120gxp.shtm
> >
> > In my last post I was writing from memory, so some of the details
> > were not quite accurate. For example, IBM is only (!) selling 70%
> > of its HDD business to Hitachi, and the new business will be a
> > Hitachi-IBM joint venture. Also, the recommended maximum usage for
> > the new IBM drives is on average 11 hours per day (not eight as I
> > had previously mentioned). But the fact remains: if the drives are
> > reliable, why would IBM feel the need to do this? No other
> > manufacturer does.
>
>     Most of those links (and others) refer to IBM HDD's over 40GB
> havin problems. I just recently had a 10 month old, IBM 30GB 7200rpm
> ata/100 2mb drive fail.  My Linux drive ;(  Mechanical problem.  The
> drive was used 24/7, but after being shutdown for a week while I was
> out'a town, it wouldn't spin up when I booted the system. System
> wouldn't even boot with that drive connected. Fortunately I had most
> of the stuff I needed from that drive backed up to CD's. I replaced
> it with a Maxtor 40GB.

Hardware generally receive the most stress when initially powered on. The sudden
'spike' of electricity (as opposed to the steady stream they receive when
they're running) can just be too much for some devices. It's not uncommon for
servers which had been running flawlessly for ages to fall over after a power
cycle.

> OTOH, my Windoze drive is a several years old
> IBM 7200rpm, ata/66 13.6GB. Never has a problem ..... yet ;)

I have two hard drives on my present system. One (the larger and newer one)
holds Mandrake and the other holds Win98 and my Linux swap. The second drive
runs fine in Windows. However, if I try mounting the Windows FAT32 partition in
Linux, my system will freeze after a random interval. The funny thing is that
the Linux swap partition on that same drive poses no such problem.

I think the problem is that manufacturers design and test their drives for
Windows and not for anything else. Linux likes to push hardware hard, and some
cheap quality or out-of-spec devices (e.g. Western Digital drives) don't like
this.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                Windows 2000, Users Zilch.