On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 18:55, bascule wrote:
> hi jack,
> ok, this is what i get:
> [root@mycroft downloads]# rgrep mnt /usr/share/msec/
> /usr/share/msec/perm.0:/mnt/
> root.root               755
> /usr/share/msec/perm.1:/mnt/
> root.root               755
> /usr/share/msec/perm.2:/mnt/
> root.root               755
> /usr/share/msec/perm.3:/mnt/
> root.root               755
> /usr/share/msec/perm.4:/mnt/
> root.ad750
> /usr/share/msec/perm.5:/mnt/
> root.root               710
> /usr/share/msec/security.sh:CS_DIRS='on /mnt'
>
> [root@mycroft downloads]# rgrep removable /etc/
> /etc/termcap:# a beer can (the old removable pop-top style) and "Soroc" was an
> /etc/devfsd.conf:# If you have removable media and want to force media
> revalidation when looking
> /etc/auto.misc:#removable       -fstype=ext2            :/dev/hdd
>
> the first is just the permisions on the /mnt directory right, no messing with
> fstab here
> the second are just commented lines aren't they? and thus inactive anyway?

right and right.

> i haven't edited msec, i assumed that level2 would be pretty quiet about what
> it did, unlike the server box, at 4 it just locked me out because i hadn't
> logged in for such a long time that my passwords had run out! - seperate
> prob! -

that is annoying :-) I once locked myself out of a box completely by
setting msec too high, had to crash it and linux single, then msec back
down to a reasonable level.

> linux is installed but i haven't run it,
> drakconf i only just ran, i had to alter my desktop icon settings to execute
> /usr/bin/drakconf instead of /usr/bin/X11/DrakConf for the benefit of any
> archive searchers upgrading and keeping their /home!
>
> i might do what james suggests and rpm -e msec and perhaps set up the more
> useful cron jobs by hand, i can't think of any other prog/daemon that alters
> files like this

linuxconf, the assorted drak* tools, webmin... You've already
established that it isn't msec by grepping its files, so start looking
at the other suspects.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...