On Friday 28 February 2003 09:10 am, logic7 wrote:
> You need none of that. Back in the day, we were recording 24 tracks with a
> P233mmx (w/scsi drives) or PPC 604e 200 (PowerMac 8600/200).
>
> It's like I said, it's all a matter of what you're recording. If you really
> want to spend $10000, then get the fastest SINGLE P4 you can get your hands
> on, a few hundred gigs worth of SCSI160 drives (find a small, 2-4GB UWSCSI
> drive for your swap file), Win2000 or XP (preferrably 2000), a matrox
> Parhelia vid card with triple head, 3 flat panel displays, 1.5GB RAM, AND a
> Creamware Scope SP with a few A16 i/o boxes.
>
> Of course, if you want to make it Linux compatible, you should look at the
> M-Audio audio cards, most of them are fully linux compatible.
thank you..

I had built "back in the day" this same guy a p2 /500 (bx440 chipset) with
scsi drives and an 3 gig ide boot drive (WINnt4), and he was happy for a long
time, but I guess he got some cash some where, and now wants to spend some of
it, so I was more than happy to offer to build his next box too. so he wants
a box that we put in the corner and use for the next 5 years, like the last
one.
since I hope to be able to convert his uses to linux, and I am so damn happy
myself with the way Mandrake handles my dual P3 1000s (especially compared to
win2k on the same box, M$ just does not handle SMP like linux and the
advantges just are not the same IMHO) I wonder if dual p4s are worth
anything, especially considering "multithreading" CPUs.