On Saturday 29 March 2003 12:08 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Saturday March 29 2003 03:56 am, Praedor Atrebates wrote:
> > On Saturday 29 March 2003 02:44 am, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> > > I installed 9.1 and the NVidia video card drivers for the
> > > standard kernel, and I find that I cannot boot the mm kernel for
> > > lack of proper driver registration for my NVidia card.
[...]
> > You will likely need to build the nvidia drivers for the new
> > kernel.  Every time I add or rebuild a kernel, even if it is
> > essentially the same as my previous kernel with just an option or
> > two changed, the NVidia driver needs to be rebuilt for that kernel.
> >
> > praedor
>
>      Two weeks ago I installed the nvidia driver on 9.1. Just to test,
> they're removed as of yesterday.  I had both the 'regular' kernel,
> and the multimedia one installed.  And yes, the nvidia src.rpms had
> to be built against each new kernel.
[...]
>      Caution tho, any of 9.1's zippy performance was lost while using
> the proprietary drivers.  Now that I'm back to using the XFree
> driver, and the nvidia taints are gone, the system's zippy again ;)
> But to tell the truth, the MM kernel doesn't add any noticible zip.

Hmmm.  I don't notice a difference between the default installed nvidia driver
and the commercial version (except for 3D acceleration not existing in the
OSS version, of course).  I just downloaded, built, and installed the
multimedia kernel, then rebuilt the nvidia src rpms and all is working fine
again.  I don't notice any real difference in "zippiness" one way or another
except for a couple hundred FPS added to my glxgears performance (~6700 FPS
default size, ~900 fullscreen at 1024x768 vs ~6400 FPS and ~600-700 FPS
respectively).  The difference is not likely the kernel but instead my
upgrading from the NVidia 3x version to the 4x (latest) version.

In what way should one notice any enhancements with the multimedia kernel?
What apps might I test/run to compare with the default kernel?

praedor