On 29 Mar 2003 07:53:17 -0500
James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since I don't own any Nvidia video cards I'm curious on one thing.
> Rebuilding for each kernel makes sense.  But the editing the
> XF86Config file throws me a bit... What is it that makes this
> necessary?

If using the nvidia drivers rather than the stock nv driver
Load "glx" is added to the module config section of XF86Config-4 by the
installation of of the NVIDIA_GLX rpm but the driver designation in said
file must still be manually changed from "nv" to Nvidia"
Both entries are necessary for X to work with the nvidia drivers.

It can be done in the manner Tom used but I have a strong aversion to
doing a force install.
I prefer editing XF86Config-4, rpm -e the current nvidia rpms, rebooting
the new kernel to init 3, rebuild and then install the nvidia rpms, edit
again XF86Config-4 and then switch to init 5 where I am greeted by the
nvidia splash screen.

    Charles

--
Overdrawn?  But I still have checks left!