> and what is 'hijacking a thread'?  i never heard of it before, unless
> you mean simply not changing 'Subject' when you should.

It's starting a new (and entirely unrelated) thread by replying to an
existing post and replacing its subject line with your own, rather than by
composing a wholly new post from scratch. It's generally done by folks who
don't know any better, often because either they've never used threading,
or their [brain-dead] mail/news clients can thread on the subject only. :)

As many mail and/or news clients thread messages based not upon merely the
subject line, but rather upon the "References:" header (so as to properly
place subthreads with changed subject lines within their parent threads),
this causes these posts to appear where they shouldn't in the 'tree'.

And I agree with Mac, it's *very* annoying behavior. Kudos to the OP for
reading up on it and resolving to mend his ways. :)

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things