On Tuesday 18 Nov 2003 9:30 am, elPunishar wrote:
> hi everybody,
>
> i noticed that my 1 gig of ram is getting filled up real quick,
> which may be okay since i'm running a lot of programs.
> BUT it doesn't come down again even when i close the programs...
> memory use just grows and grows (slow but steady), then beginns to
> fill up the swap space...

Linux uses memory very differently from Windows.  This is normal
behaviour, making all memory quickly available at all times.  It
dynamically releases memory least likely to be needed whenever
something else requires it.  It's nothing to worry about at all.

> i hope you don't rip my head off for this, but that behaviour seems
> a little window-esque to me...
> granted, its a lot slower than on a windows box.

It shouldn't be a lot slower.  Things that might affect it are

How much RAM have you got?

How full is your drive? In a console, type df

Is the drive using dma? - try hdparm -d /dev/hda (assuming hda is your
drive letter)

Paste here what replies you get.

Anne
--