Bruno,

No it is in a good group. I can log in using fabric if I restart it
and the instance is already running. I can see that fabric is inside
network.py trying to make the connection. I get one of two errors:
either timeout or low level socket error. In debugging, I added
retries to network.connect and it will fail repeatedly. First it times
out a few times, then gives the "low level socket" error. While it
doing that, I can ssh into it from a terminal. I wonder does paramiko
have a connection cache ? Maybe it is not really retrying? Thanks for
any help.

Matt