From: Jeff Forcier <j...@bitprophet.org>
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Basic questoins
To: "Peter Bee" <yb...@yahoo.com>
Cc: fab-user@nongnu.org
Date: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 6:32 PM

Hi Peter,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Peter Bee <yb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there any way it can work on Windows?

Fabric can be run on any platform that supports Python, so yes, it
will run on Windows. And while most of the development and userbase
runs it from Unix-based platforms like Linux and Mac OS X, there's at
least a few Windows users who keep us honest :) Cygwin is highly
recommended, though not required.

In terms of what Fabric can target (i.e. the remote machines connected
to) it can target anything that runs a valid SSH2 server and supports
single command invocation.

> What is the current stable release of Fabric, 0.9 or 1.0?

0.9.1 is the latest stable release; 1.0 is not a real release yet,
it's simply the label for the expected next major release. Once 1.0
comes out (which will be soon) both 0.9.x and 1.0.x lines will be
supported for a while, and 1.0 will be largely (not entirely)
backwards compatible so it should be an easy upgrade.

> We have installed Python2.6.5 on our systems, is that good for Fabric?

Python 2.6.5 is fine, though you will need to install Paramiko 1.7.6
after installing Fabric, as there is a known issue with our bundled
version of the Paramiko library on Python 2.6.5.

Best,
Jeff

--
Jeff Forcier