You can log to the terminal/console standard output using:

    [ "foo" . ] with-global

The problem with your listener output issue is probably pref-dim is called
before the new window opens and draw-gadget is called after and the
output-stream (initially set to the listener) is rebound to something other
than the listener you expect it to be.

You could also save the listener output stream somewhere:

    SYMBOL: my-output-stream

    output-stream get my-output-stream set-global

Then use it to make sure output goes to the right place:

    my-output-stream [ "foo" . ] with-output-stream

There are other ways maybe to make that cleaner but if you only need debug
output that should fix it for you.