Vaj, I've got no idea whether Coplin's comment is true, but it's the only thing
I've ever read that explained the origin of the title for Maharishi.  And it's
not inconceivable that the honorific was given, in part at least, to reward
Maharishi for his support (political and monetary) of the Shankaracharya
lineage of Shantanand.

The only thing I ever heard Maharishi say about it was that "people" started
using it, and he didn't object.

**