You're right, I am assuming that someone other than Maharishi himself actually
called him that first, and not that he introduced himself as a maharishi.  That
being said, I'm not arguing that it was some authority or math that first
honored him with that.  Like Judy pointed out, it's totally common for Indian
devotees to extol assumed enlightened saints and gurus with over the top
honorifics, and the idea that one of Maharishi's early followers gave him that
designation out of their own reverence and pride.

But you may be correct, too, and that Maharishi assumed that appelation
entirely on his own initiative.

**