 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] RE: Russell Simmons on TM - Front page of
Yahoo.com
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 9:34 PM

     "Ram"
 rhymes with "Tom" while "Rum"
       rhymes with "bum".  Also it is highly
 improvable the writer knows
       ANY Sanskrit.  :-D

       On 02/26/2014 01:01 PM, cardemais...@yahoo.com
 wrote:

             In Sanskrit, vowels save the short a-sound
               are "pure". I guess another way to
 express

               that is they are "non-reduced".

               I'm quite certain that for native speakers
 of English the
               "impurity" of the short

               a-sound in Sanskrit is easier to hear than for
 those whose
               native languages have  only pure

               vowel sounds, like e.g. Italian and Finnish.

               Be it as it may, I think the short a-sound in
 Sanskrit
               *might* be closer
               to vowel sounds

               like 'aw' in English 'raw',
 but short.

               Listening to the pronunciation of
 'rum' in Google
               translator rendered me quite shure

               it's
 fairly close
               to the Sanskrit pronunciation of
 'ram', whereas
               pronouncing that (ram)

               according to the phonetic rules of English
 might make it
               too frontal(?), like the a-sound e.g.

               in 'bat'.