Devotional practices such as "bhakti" are also just tools. The ancient yogis needed a way to explain the laws of nature and the universe (physics) to simple folks. So they used metaphors.

I was going to mention this in the thread about "quiet time" because the mantras really aren't "names of Hindu gods" but just vibratory sounds that have some effect. The problem I have with TM and the way MMY went about the teaching was hiding so much of what was behind it and the fact that the beej mantras given won't actually "work for anyone". It's a much broader science than that. And then there is the profiteering issue which even Charlie Lutes had a problem with back in the day.