Are you drunk??

 What the fuck makes you imagine I think the laws of physics are inadequate
compared to theism? I don't know what that could even mean.

 Sober up and stop talking gibberish.

 Either tell us where the laws of physics are inadequate compared to theism or
shut the fuck up.

 We're waiting.

 Yet another atheist wannabe who simply cannot lower himself to reading enough
philosophy to realize the incoherence of one of his fundamental premises, or
that the purported evidentiary problems of theism as confronted by science that
he blabs on about so pompously are in fact nonexistent.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 Hell if I know what a divinity is. I just copied the definition of 'numinous'
from the Google search results for 'define:numinous'. I was discussing the
nature of informed belief, that is belief based on evidence rather than simply
an idea one has in the mind. I was not discussing anything about atheism.
Without evidence, there is no case to be made, so arguments for and against are
empty. One can argue that Sherlock Holmes smoked a Meerschaum pipe, but the
evidence in the illustrations of the stories as originally published indicate
he did not, but Sherlock Holmes never existed in reality as a real person, so
what one is really arguing about here is not about Sherlock Holmes and his
pipe, but the content of the text and illustrations in the stories about a
fictional character called 'Sherlock Holmes'. So the argument concerning Mr
Holmes is not about a reality but an illusion purporting to be a reality, the
actual reality in this case being printed text and illustrations in The Strand
Magazine (1891–1950, United Kingdom).

 The definition of 'divinity' (noun) from the same Google source is 'the state
or quality of being divine', and 'a divinity' would then be 'something that has
the state or quality of being divine', which seems to imply there could be more
than one something that has those characteristics. A saint might be considered
divine. Zeus could be considered divine and therefore a divinity. So could
Apollo, or Jehovah. Maybe I could be divine. Maybe you could be divine, though
there seems to be a preponderance of opinion here that would not likely be the
case. It is not incoherent to say 'I just believe in one less divinity than you
do'. That is just a statement, a proposition. Some people believe in many
divinities, some in just one, some in none. A proposition by itself is not an
argument, just a statement that may or may not have truth value, which cannot
be affirmed or denied on the basis of the proposition itself. Coherence depends
on how a particular proposition aligns logically with other propositions, and
aligns with what the proposition(s) point to, if in fact they point to
something outside themselves, for if they do not, it is an empty argument, much
ado about nothing.

 In mentioning enlightenment, that particular discipline investigates
subjectively the nature of sensory experience and its relationship to thought,
and the interpretation by thought of the nature of experience, whether in fact
thought can represent 'truth' or is simply a distortion of 'truth', or even
whether there really is anything or state that could be thought of as 'truth',
that is, whether the word 'truth' has any meaningful correlate that is real.

 A friend of mine was recently sued for delinquent payment of rent. This was
not true, as my friend brought evidence of the fact to court, but the person
bringing the suit came to court without any evidence whatsoever, but managed to
convince the court — the judge and the person suing being white and my friend,
black, to a 90 day stay, so that evidence could be brought — the argument: 'I
did not think (the defendant) would show up'. The case was thrown out by a
higher judge on the basis that no evidence was brought, and the lower judge
showed prejudice in not dismissing the case.

 This is the situation between non-believers and believers of the religious
kind, there are arguments but evidence is unconvincing or absent in spite of
the sophistication of the pleading or polemic of the claims being made.

 Science takes a practical tack in such instances, no evidence, no case. This
gets rid of the nutters, so one can focus on actual stuff, but occasionally
there are examples of the baby being thrown out with the bath water, but in
time the mistake may be rectified.

 'Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that
may never be questioned.' — source unknown

 Exactly what is "a divinity"?

 This is where atheists, especially those with pretensions to scientific
understanding but who are deficient in philosophy, tend to get all tangled up
and become incoherent, saying things like "I just believe in one less divinity
than you do."

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 nu·mi·nous     = having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or
suggesting the presence of a divinity.
 Exactly what is a strong religious quality? Exactly what is a spiritual
quality? How do these two qualities indicate or suggest the presence of a
divinity? If something is indicated or suggested, is that any reason to assume
that something is actually there if it has not been directly seen, directly
experienced.

 All that has to be done is demonstrate, unequivocally, what it is that one
wants others to see, then you have a reason to define and investigate what that
is. It is not necessary to investigate or define what does not exist, since one
will never come across a concrete demonstration. One can imagine all sorts of
things mentally, but never be able to show that those things exist, and as
such, all such ideas are equivalent in that there is no proof, and no
possibility of proof that such things have an existence independent of thought.
There is reason to believe that what we call an elephant exists, even if we do
not know what it is or have a name for it, it can be experienced through the
senses, at some point it can be defined, observed, argued about.

 There is a problem when the subject matter at hand is empty, but is presumed
to be real, such as invisible formless gods, or enlightenment. With gods, we
have to presume they exist, and are somehow different from us. With
enlightenment, there is the problem that it really does not exist, but we think
it does. In this case the spiritual path shows us that the idea of
enlightenment was an illusion, that what we were seeking was in fact just what
we always were, not some new thing we have never experienced before. But it
cannot be proved by argument, one just has to be crazy enough to attempt to
resolve the issue. In the rarefied atmosphere of abstract theology, if we think
that union with the god of one's imagination is the equivalent of
enlightenment, then I suspect there will be a real disappointment because at
the end of the road, the thing you have to give up is your idea of what that
god is.