He may not be the most admired president in US history, but he was a gifted
writer.  He also became destitute after serving as president of this country.
I would guess ex-presidents, at the time, didn't have a pension for their
services as the top executive.

 He also wanted to annex the Dominican Republic as part of the Union.  But the
senate disapproved of the idea.  I wonder what would happen if some countries
in Latin America would want to join the US now.  A new state and new tax payers
could help pay for the mounting national debt of this country.

http://news.yahoo.com/10-fascinating-facts-president-ulysses-grant-093220428.html

http://news.yahoo.com/10-fascinating-facts-president-ulysses-grant-093220428.html