You never know what could happen.  A lot of the Latin American countries have
problems with insurgents and rebels.  They may want the American military to
bring peace and order in their country.

 Also, Costa Rica has a good reputation for stability.  Hence, a good place for
Americans to retire.  As of now, I still want to visit Peru to see Machu
Picchu.  So far, I haven't heard anything negative about any tourists visiting
over there.

 I highly doubt that Latin American countries would be dumb enough to become
part of the losing highly in debt United States.  Besides they get a lot of US
expatriates moving to their countries and spending their retirement money
there.  I hear Panama is good for that.