 I would suggest a similarity between David Lynch and his fans and Maharishi
and his.

 Lynch's primary appreciators seem to be critics and viewers who are either
adolescents or delayed adolescents who are impressed with dark, moody
pretension, and don't seem to notice when it repeats itself endlessly.

 Maharishi essentially gave the same introductory lecture on kindergarten-level
spirituality for 50 years, dressing up standard Hindu superstition in a
succession of new terms without ever saying anything new. And again, no one
noticed the repetition.

 Why would you say that? How do you know? Not that your "critique" is
necessarily accurate but the man hardly held me spellbound and yes, I found him
boring and somewhat repetitive but he wasn't talking to the same audience all
the time. Not being enthralled with MMY or overly enthusiastic about TM would
explain why I never ran off to become a TM teacher. But to say "no one noticed"
is ridiculous.