From: "curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com" <curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com>

To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, May 2, 2014 3:30 AM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Re-Facilitating a Future and the New TM
Movement:

R:
According to Harris, by paying close attention to moment-to-moment
conscious experience, it is possible to make our sense of "self" vanish
and thereby uncover a new state of personal well-being.

'The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason'
by SamHarris
W.W. Norton & Company, 2004
p. 214

C: Excellent quote find Richard!

What I believe distinguishes him from the Maharishi perspective is that he does
not identify the silent aspect of the mind with a higher Self. This also
corresponds with my own experience of using TM without the belief system. I
cannot say that what I used to consider  my Self, is the most important aspect
of my identity. That move is an intellectual one supported by the belief system
and triggered by the mahavakyas in Maharishi's system. Without that presumption
it appears as just another aspect of a multifaceted identity cluster which may
or may not be all illusion. I am fascinated by exploring this without the usual
assumptions from the Vedic perspective.

Excellent point, Curtis. One of the things I reject about almost all forms of
spirituality I've encountered is that they're stuck in hierarchical thinking.
One's sense of "self" is lower than one's sense of "Self." They build their
whole philosophies around their assumption that the universe is hierarchical in
nature. I honestly don't believe it is. I think it's relational. (For me to
explain this, I'd have to trot out my rap about hierarchical vs. relational
databases, and I doubt anyone wants to read through that again.)

I'm a "hard social scientist" when it comes to which comes first -- the
experience one is trying to interpret or find meaning in, or the belief system
one uses to interpret it. IMO the belief system always comes first. It colors
anything you experience. So if he's got suggestions for how one can avoid that
trap, I'd love to hear them.

Love your phrase "just another aspect of a multifaceted identity cluster which
may or may not be all illusion." That's it. What TMers and New Agers call
"Self" is Just Another Experience. Not higher, not lower, and possibly not even
happening at all. :-)

Just sitting and noticing.

Another good phrase.

Thanks for digging that up.

On 5/1/2014 3:26 PM, curtisdeltablues@... wrote:

> Any tips or insights, especially since you have a TM history and might
>> know the issues TMers might have would be welcome.
>>
>According to Harris, by paying close attention to moment-to-moment
conscious experience, it is possible to make our sense of "self" vanish
and thereby uncover a new state of personal well-being.

'The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason'
by SamHarris
W.W. Norton & Company, 2004
p. 214

---