 I once knew some folks who were into their particular "liver cleanse," during
which they fasted a short bit, then drank down a combination of lemon juice,
olive oil, and Colosan (a natural colon cleanser). This would supposedly clean
out years of accumulated gunk in your liver, which would appear magically in
their toilet as green-colored globules of gick, after which all who tried this
cleansing routine raved about how much better and more energetic they felt.
They swore by this routine, and recommended it to others.

 Turns out the green-colored globules of gick are just what happens to olive
oil when you mix it with lemon juice and ingest it. They were "cleansing
themselves" of exactly the thing they had ingested a few hours earlier. :-)

 In a similar vein the Guardian's Bad Science columnist Ben Goldacre once
tested a lot of popular, and expensive, detox products.

 He did it by having all his usual bodily excressences analysed both before and
after taking many of these supposedly cleansing substances, and he found there
wasn't anything there that wasn't there before. You'd think there would be
something to show for all the expensive rituals.

 He ruined many a promising new age health "experts" career by hounding them
with the results of his data. "Dr" Gillian McKeith doesn't call herself a
doctor any more because of him.

 This whole conversation is starting to make me feel good about continuing my
chocolate and mince pie consumption well into the new year. Oh yes.