David Berry wrote:

Why on earth would FC-UK want to become the loony fringe of the debate? The idea is to *fight* for the ideas you believe in, not to act as a straw man just because ORG is too scared to say anything more radical than keep things as they are. If we keep letting the media image of how we are represented in the debate drive things then we become nothing more than a PR stunt. I find that sad and pointless. How about actually addressing the issues, and dealing with the questions raised by the radical reform of copyright, rather than idiotic abolitionist positions that are not substantiated by careful consideration of the pros and cons
I find that offensive.

Since I brought up patents, I'll talk in terms of patents.
There is a perfectly reasonable case for patent abolition. There are well-known orthodox economists who will argue for it (michele boldrin and david levine, in particular). There are major global campaigns around alternatives to patents applied to medicine (see Jamie Love's CPTech site). There have been repeated studies that show that periods of patent abolition in the past (Holland/Switzerland) had no kind of adverse economic effects. etc.

You may well disagree with the position, and/or think it unrealistic for FC-UK to support it. But there is no reason to call people who believe patents to be harmful 'idiots', especially when FC-UK has so far been broad enough to contain both points of view. Or to claim some kind of monopoly on 'careful consideration of the pros and cons'.

Graham

- afterall SOMEHOW the artists and musicians *will* need to be compensated else why would they accept change. See William Fisher's book, Promises to Keep, for an excellent attempt to make a cogent case for copyright reform. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Promises-Keep-Technology-Future-Entertainment/dp/0804750130/sr=8-3/qid=1164886440/ref=sr_1_3/026-7241997-7440430?ie=UTF8&s=books <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Promises-Keep-Technology-Future-Entertainment/dp/0804750130/sr=8-3/qid=1164886440/ref=sr_1_3/026-7241997-7440430?ie=UTF8&s=books>

We can argue till we are blue in the face for changes in copyright law, but if we are to have political impact we need to make a *convincing* argument, substantiated with *evidence*. And no, just because you feel in your gut that copyright is wrong, doesn't mean that everyone is going to accept your argument.