I've been doing a lot of traveling, and I've been looking for a storage
solution that suits my needs.  I don't seem to be able to find an ideal
solution, and I don't think I'm in the minority – although I could be wrong.

Here is what I need:

I travel with a notebook computer.
That is also my main computer.
Everything on it is critical.
Everything on it needs to be secure.
If the notebook fails for any reason, I need immediate, secure access to
that information.

Luckily, I use a Macbook Pro, so I can create a bootable clone on an
external 2.5" drive that I can boot any Mac from, wherever I may be.  All I
need to do is carry a small 2.5" firewire drive with me.

The problems are:
(1) The MacBook Pro is not really secure.  I don't use FileVault (their
internal encryption solution), even though it elegantly only encrypts the
contents of my Home folder, because it creates a separate disk image that
could become corrupt during backup and that, apparently, you cannot access
from a backup drive.

(2) The external bootable drive has no security at all.  None.  So although
it is bootable from any Mac (and I would have to authenticate at boot, using
any Mac), to my knowledge it is still completely readable from any  PC or
Mac, should I simply connect it using a firewire or USB. That is
unacceptable.

Am I missing something? Do you guys have a solution in the works?  It would
seem to me that many travelers have the same needs as me, but maybe in the
corporate world they use thin clients or don't travel around with critical
information.  (And the truth is, I'm not carrying any state secrets. I just
don't want my personal information to fall into anyone's hands, full stop!)

Thanks in advance...