I travel with a MacBook Pro using FileValut.  FV is great. The backup
is accessible if you boot from a backup drive; you just need to mount
it and enter your FV password. Normally that is the same as your login
password.

You can also create an encrypted image on your external bootable drive
using Disk Utility.