On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Dmitry Obukhov wrote:

> Fran,
>
> Typically the software FDE solution should intercept BIOS interrupt (I'm not
> Windows programmer, but back in old DOS times it was int 13h and 76h) and
> individually encrypt/decrypt each 512 bytes sector. It is very CPU-consuming
> process. Up to 48% of the CPU power can be spent on encryption. The HW FDE
> (SED, self-encrypting drives) is much more efficient, and no changes in OS
> is required.

I would love to have some FDE hardware drives, but the hour I spent at the
Seagate website didn't tell me how the key was established. Can I just buy
such a drive and install it in a white-box computer and have it work?
WIthout any evidence on the website to the contrary, I just assumed the
drive came with a windows driver for setting the key, and that a special
motherboard with a tpm circuit was required for the driver to work.

If that isn't the case, it makes the drives much more attractive. Are
there instructions somewhere on the net? This would be of interest to us
for both Windows and Linux.

Daniel Feenberg