From: fde-boun...@www.xml-dev.com [mailto:fde-boun...@www.xml-dev.com] On
Behalf Of Tim Hollebeek
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:19 AM
To: fde@www.xml-dev.com
Subject: Re: [FDE] how FDE is implemented at system layer

> > It is very CPU-consuming
> > process. Up to 48% of the CPU power can be spent on encryption.
>
> Really?

Maybe on archaic hardware.  The numbers we've seen are closer to 3%.
And of course, the marginal cost of additional CPU usage is zero unless your
CPU meter is pegged.  "Up to" can be very misleading.  Up to 100% of the
information in this email might be wrong.  That doesn't mean it is.

Encryption is not a CPU intensive operation on modern machines.
I run our FDE product on my machines, and I often forget it's there.
The overhead is not noticeable.

-Tim