From: fde-boun...@www.xml-dev.com [mailto:fde-boun...@www.xml-dev.com] On
Behalf Of Wall, Kevin
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:15 AM
To: 'fde@www.xml-dev.com'
Subject: Re: [FDE] FDE Digest, Vol 32, Issue 4

Bryan Glancey wrote...

> I would suggest a quick scan of the press releases for the Major FDE
> players gives you a good sense.
...snip...
> WinMagic - Mount Sinai (Laptops & Desktops) Pointsec / CheckPoint -
> Wells Fargo (Laptops and Desktops) Guardian Edge - VA Affairs (Laptops
> and Desktops) Mobile Armor - Army (Laptops & Desktops) , Navy (Laptops
> &
> Desktops) (Listed Myself last :) )
>
> Generally, I would tell you from doing this for almost 15 years now
> and working with every major vendor in this market
> - that companies usually lead with encrypting laptops but follow with
> encrypting all machines. Regulatory regulated industries, particularly
> Financial Services, lead this due to the audit findings and fines
> related to GLBA.

I would think that one reason for this is that TPM is not nearly as common
in desktop models as in laptops and the best FDE leverages TPM. In fact, you
hear in many web forums, mailing lists, etc. how TPM is not really even
needed on desktop PCs anyway. But once TPMs reach some critical mass on
desktops, then FDE on desktops might start becoming more common.

-kevin
---
Kevin W. Wall           Qwest Information Technology, Inc.
kevin.w...@qwest.com    Phone: 614.215.4788
"Linux *is* user-friendly.  It's just choosy about its friends."
    - Robert Slade, http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade/bkl3h4h4.rvw