TPMs are rapidly becoming a normal part of desktops and laptops, thankfully.

My concern with FDE and TPMs is that, thus far, the only FDE vendor that
seems to utilize the TPM for *pre-boot integrity checking* (rather than just
cryptographic key storage) is BitLocker. BitLocker stores startup component
hashes in the TPM PCRs (platform config registers), as well as the
cryptographic key for the data on BL-encrypted volumes. Pre-boot integrity
checking mitigates a compelling attack vector for attackers and also allows
for secure "transparent operation" (meaning that no key/password is required
provided no boot components have been modified)*.

While it's possible that other software-based FDE vendors do pre-boot
integrity checking as well, I've found no information on their web sites
that they use the TPM for anything besides secure key storage.

* Note: I realize that transparent operation (Basic Mode, in BitLocker
terminology) is not nearly as safe as requiring a password/PIN/token due to
attack vectors against the OS, RAM attacks, etc. But it's much safer than
transparent operation mode *without* a TPM, which is little more than
security by obscurity.

- Garrett

[snip]