On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 02:24:34PM -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

 > On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 13:48 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
 > > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Hans de Goede wrote:
 > >
 > > > Well since I seem to be talking to the right person now, I know you hate
 > > > this
 > > > question, but ... how strongly would you object to having an rt kernel
 > > > variant within Fedora?
 > >
 > > LOL.  I asked this question two years ago.  I doubt the answer has
 > > changed.  :)
 >
 > But the situation HAS changed. A LOT. There is now (or is going to be) a
 > realtime kernel in _RedHat Enterprise_ of all places. If it is good and
 > stable for RHEL why wouldn't it be good for Fedora?

Largely a manpower thing.  We have staff we can throw at RHEL projects.
Fedora, not so much.  Supporting an extra kernel variant is a big deal.
Given how understaffed the Fedora kernel team is in comparison to the
workload dealing with incoming bugs etc, it's not something we should
just do and hope for the best.   Even with the recent growth within
our team, we're still totally buried with stuff to do with the non-rt kernel.

 > In the latest spins of my rt kernel I have actually used the patch set
 > of the RHEL beta realtime kernel _and_ the patch set of the latest
 > Fedora kernels [NOT fun to integrate!]

That's also an additional reason why we shy away from it for Fedora.
Fedora needs to be lightweight enough that we can quickly move to newer
upstream releases.  We lost a lot of agility when we were carrying Xen
for exactly the same reason.  And the idea of 'well have kernel-rt be
based on an earlier version' doesn't fly because then userspace has to
deal with two possible environments (Another case where Xen burned us).

        Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk