From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:02 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Hideyo's court case 19th?? - to Michelle

If they all have limits and they are a fixed number, I probably would not bring them up at all.

As to your argument, I think you are right about focusing on the 10% issue. It is really random.  Where does it come from? Are they suggesting that people who have dogs are supposed to confine them to 10% of the house and are wrong to let them live in the whole house? On what basis could they say that? And if they say no, they are assuming people allow animals the run of the  house and that is ok, then there is obviously no basis for limiting the number based on an assumption they are only using 10% of the house.

Basically they are saying that if someone has a 9,000 square foot house they can have more than twice as many animals even if they keep all the animals in only 900 square feet of the house, whereas you are giving them 4,000 square feet-- they are saying that someone who owns a bigger house, just by virtue of owning the bigger house, is allowed to keep more animals than you even if they give them less space.  There is no rational basis to this regarding the health or welfare of the animals or the neighbors.

The one danger I can think of with this argument is that most towns have ordinances limiting the number of large animals, like horses, based on acreage-- e.g. you must have 1 acre per horse-- rather than on the amount of space actually given to the animals-- e.g. the person might keep the horse in a 10 foot by 20 foot paddock.  I actually think those ordinances are stupid too, and it should have to do with the space you can actually give the animal versus what you own, but a judge may think about those ordinances and not want to call their validity into question.

Michelle