Amen.

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow man. St. Francis ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: Ellie separated from others - what should I do?

As others have said, that's a call only you can make. Imho, since they've already lived together for so long, any chance of infection has already happened. I think if your other 5 were going to get felv, they would have by now. The fact that Oreo tested pos and then re-tested neg tells me that he's probably already thrown the virus and is not in any danger. The more you learn about felv, the more you'll see that it's one giant crap shoot. The "safest" course of action is to put Ellie to sleep, the second is to keep her separated. To me these are both unacceptable. I tend to opt for quality over quantity anyway. You'll get varying opinions about what people on the list do. One thing I can tell you, is that no matter what the outcome might have been, (none of my negs ever tested pos after living with my pos cats for 2 years), I wouldn't have been sorry about my decision. I'm learning, slowly, that I don't have the sort of control that I once thought I did. These days, I'm much better about making decisions based on everyone's quality of life, rather than trying to keep everyone as "safe" as possible. It's probably "safer" for Ellie to keep her secluded because she's more vulnerable to picking up disease from your other cats. If she's miserable though, is it worth it? What ever you decide, make peace with it and accept the consequences, be they good or bad. What else can we do?
Nina

Kathi Clark wrote:

Yes, I do have Ellie separated from everyone else and it's breaking my heart; she's so lonely. What should I do?