Ebony was an adult feral when he moved in with me. I bought a 6x6x12 chain link dog kennel, put a top (very securely) on it and attached it to the house by way of a bathroom window. He went thru a dog/cat door into duct work then onto a landing and into the kennel. He loved it all his days, had free access except when I blocked the door for some reason (really bad weather etc), and was safe.

Good luck. I am glad Smokey rebounded. The emergency vets I know do treat FeLV+ cats.
On Jul 7, 2008, at 9:10 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I had a real scare with Smokey over the weekend. I thought I was loosing him and I didn't even know if an emergency vet would treat him because of his disease. Do they?The good news is that I didn't need to find out, he's snapped out of it. I've been treating him for an upper respiratory problem and an eye infection. He also has ulcers on his mouth, poor boy! The little cat is a wreck, but he appears to have turned the corner. As of today, his mouth is healing, his eye isn't running and his breathing is normal. I do not want to get my hopes up too much, but I sure do want the little boy to stay with me. I can't believe how many tears I have shed for a little guy I've known less then two weeks. He's just so sweet.

Is it normal for them to snap back so quickly? Is this a good sign that he might live a while? My vet says that he could live a few years and has even emailed me outdoor enclosures to look at. He was a stray and longs to be outside, so it would be nice for him to go outside once in a while.

I really appreciate this site. It's wonderful to hear from people who know about this and also who understand. As with my horse, (he's a rescue, too) most of my friends think I am nuts for taking on this little cat.

Thank you for listening,
Kathryn

-----Original Message-----
From: catatonya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 7:33 am
Subject: Re: Welcome, Kathryn

I didn't get your original email Kathryn. Welcome to ghe group. Is your cat showing any symptoms? How old is he?
tonya

Diane Rosenfeldt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You've come to a great place for information and support. Others have much more experience with these babies, but I can tell you that diet and stress control are paramount. If you can give your new guy (what's his name?) the best food possible and keep him as happy as possible, that's a great first step. You can also supplement his diet with L-lysine (from natural food stores, without the additives found in the kind you find in most drugstores, which is toxic to cats). Make sure your vet is knowledgeable on FeLV -- if he/she didn't immediately suggest euthanasia, that's a good sign. If he/ she isn't, look around for one who is. Some people here like holistic vets, if there are some in your area, in addition to their regular vet.

There's no way to know how long any of them will last. Some people here have kitties who have lived long and well with FeLV, and then there are some (like my Patches, who came to me as a stray, too, who only stayed with me six weeks.) What's important is to enjoy him every minute he's with you, fight the good fight together, but know when it's time to let go. Not easy, but doable. Good luck with your guy.

Diane R.