My vet opthamologist here in Philly, Dr. Glickstein, told me that he was
aware of only one
controlled study on the effects of L-lysine on herpes.  He said that the
study showed that
L-lysine did keep cats from getting their first herpes infection but that
it had absolutely no
effect on subsequent infections or outbreaks.  Apparently these are not
the same results
that are seen in human trials where it is belived to be effective on
continuing outbreaks.

I know that many many people believe that they have seen results with its
use in cats however
in ammeliorating a herpes outbreak.