From: Jane Lyons <j.ly...@mindspring.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 8:59 am
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] FeLV survey, please take part, just a personal one to better undertsand FeLV.

Hi Sidney

The General sounds like a fabulous cat. It is great that he persisted.

Are you using l-lycine as a supplement? I was able to get rid of a really

bad upper respiratory with it. I buy it in capsule form and mix the powder

into cats food and my cat, who could be a forensic pathologist when it comes to

detecting supplements, does not know it is there. I make sure she gets 500mg

daily and although it takes time, it usually works.

I also use interferon, but give it on and off each day, rather than weeks. I wonder

if that would make a difference.

There is a study underway (Dr. Jean Dodds ..Rabies Challenge) to prove that we over vaccinate

our animals and that one rabies shot should protect an animal for its lifetime. You can Google

the 'rabies challenge' and read about the study and the vets who are involved. A rabies shot

can be stressful for a healthy animal. I would think twice about vaccinating an Felv kittie.

Hope your General continues to thrive.

Jane

On Feb 7, 2009, at 9:17 AM, souther...@aol.com wrote:

AT WHAT AGE DID YOUR CAT BECOME FeLV POSITIVE? WHAT TREATMENTS DID >
YOU DO/ARE

DOING? WHAT FOOD DO/DID YOU FEED? WHAT LIFESTYLE DO YOUR CATS LEAD, >
E.G; INDOOR,

OUTDOOR/BOTH ? LIVE WITH OTHER CATS OR NOT? HAS YOUR CAT HAD/HAVE >
ANY OTHER

ILLNESSES AND OR STRESS IN LIFE? IF SO WHAT? WHAT AGE IS YOUR CAT >
NOW? OR WHEN

THEY DIED? WHAT DID THEY DIE OF?

My big boy, General Sterling Price, came to me. I have never owned >
a cat in my life. I was working in my flowers in April 2007 when > this big black tuxedo cat came and CLIMBED ON MY BACK. I was not > happy. I tried to shoo him away. He was having none of it. He > was like a bag of bones. And he cried so pitifully that I went and > got him a bowl of milk (I didn't know cats weren't supposed to have > milk any more than dogs are!) He drank it down so I got him > another, which he drank down. The next day he was still out > there. So I brought him dog food out (it's all I had) and he ate > the entire bowl. So the next day, when he was still there, I > bought him a sack of some sort of cat food at the grocery. He ate > it of course. After 3 weeks of doing this I decided that if he was > gonna hang around, then he was gonna be neutered. So I took him to > the vet. He did the required blood tests and said this cat is FeLV> +. You might as well have him put to sleep as he's gonna die > anyway. By then I had developed an attachment to him, so I changed > vets. (I now take him to the Nashville Cat Clinic) This boy went > from living outside to living in the garage to now living in the > house and sleeping in the bed with the Mini Schnauzer who hates him > and my husband and me. He has some really strange eating habits > these days. He won't eat any one food for long. My vet wants him > on grain free canned but he's not willing to eat that right now. > He is now eating Evo dry and Halo dry. He'll eat one for 2-3 days > and then he won't eat it and I'll change. The only problem I have > is that I can no longer get him to take his supplements. He's on > an immune system supplement that is a tablet I used to mix with the > wet food. Now he won't eat it if I do. I've tried even mixing it > in tuna and he won't eat it. So I'm in a little bit of a state > over this. he is also on interferon 7 days on and 7 days off. > I've also had some problems with this lately as he seems to throw > up on the days that I give him interferon. He's had a kidney > infection he's overcome. he has had pancreatitis that he's > overcome, and he's had some fairly chronic upper respiratory > infections. We think he's probably about 4-7 years old. He came > to me when he was between 2-5 we think. I think he was dumped > because he has such a love of humans. He's a big (15 lbs now) > lapcat. He loves to be petted. He loves to be around people. He > follows me every step I take, if the dog will let him. His only > stress is the Mini Schnauzer who is 12 and has epilepsy :-) She > hates him. He just tries to stay out of her way. (She sleeps on > the bed at the foot and he sleeps up at the head, by my head!) > Every time he sneezes I worry. But he's hanging in there so far, > and as far as I can tell he is prospering. He has had rabies > vaccine and calici virus in the past but I don't know if we'll do > rabies this year since he isn't outside now. I'll have to talk to > my vet about that and the calici too.

Sidney and the General