Hey,

I wrote a fairly long reply on why liver enzymes may be elevated.
Unfortunatley, my cat decided to hit the escape button while rolling over and I
lost the whole thing.

Anyway,  here's the long and short of it.

1.  The symptoms you are describing are common in urinary tract infections or
crystal formation.  It is likely that Orlando has a urinary tract infection for
which the antibiotics were prescribed.  Some antibiotics are sensitive to light
and need to be wrapped in foil to protect it from light.

2.  An elevated white blood cell count is indicative of either an infection
(which would be consistent with a urinary tract infection) or some type of
lymphoma or leukemia (less likely given the symptoms)  This can usually be
differentiated by looking and the types and ratios of which white blood cells
are elevated.  Additionally, an elevated WBC (white blood cell) count is in
many respects good in that it suggests that his bone marrow is not severely
suppressed by felv.  It would help to know if his RBC (red blood cell) count is
normal.

3.  Elevated liver enzymes are very non specific.  Many things can cause it.
Either a primary liver process like a hepatic lipidosis, cirrhosis, hepatitis,
etc.  Or other diseases and meds can cause it - common things are
drugs/medications (the liver is the front line guy in recognizing and
metabolizing meds/drugs/toxins), cancers, renal failure, pancreatitis.  In
general there are a wide range of things that can cause elevated liver enzymes
and depending on which ones are elevated, by how much and in comparison to the
others, you can begin to get a feel for what may be the underlying cause.  My
guess is that there is probably a relationship between the urinary tract
infection and the elevated liver enzymes.  There may be, however, something
more serious going on.

My personal recommendation would be to treat the urinary tract infection and
consult a good veterinarian who is willing to discuss the meaning of the lab
values.  I could likely give you some insight, but I do not know the details of
the lab results and this could be potentially be somewhat complicated.  Unless
the values are very elevated and concerning, I would wait until the urinary
tract infection has resolved and retest the liver panel as these values may
also come down.  If not, I would look further for a cause.  Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Jenny