On 07-30, Cindy Jackson wrote:

> How can you make sure that someone who wants to adopt your cat is
> legitimate? Has anyone ever offered to adopt your cat here on
> felvtalk or have you found someone here that you called to ask if
> they could adopt your cat? If so, how did you make sure they are
> reputable? ? ? ?

It's not easy, but here are some tips..............

If you are doing this via computer, use e-mail for the first
interview. If the e-mail exchanges are good, I ask for a phone
number..... If the person can't respond with a complete e-mail
sentence stop right there.

If you get a phone number for the person call them at that
number early in the screening process. If the number can't be
verified as valid, go no further.

When you call the potential adopters ask them to tell you about
themselves and the home they have to offer.

Ask if they've had cats or a cat before, and what happened to the
cat. A really good indiction of commitment is if the people tell
you they nursed a senior cat through the end of it's life. A bad
indication is someone who says their cats keep getting run over,
their dog kills them, or they don't have a clue why their cats keep
disappearing!

Always ask a nominal adoption fee.  But feel free to waive it if
you feel really good about the people or ask them to donate to a
rescue group instead.  The willingness to pay a small fee is just
one indicator of commitment.

When you choose a family after the initial interview, go to their
house and look around carefully. Are there other animals - how do
they interact?  Are there young children - how do they react to the
cat? Is this house and family suitable?  Look around and make a bit
of a judgment call on whether or not this family can afford your cat.
Not everyone should own a pet if they can't afford the vet bills
involved.

If you feel this is not the family for your pet, be gracious in
saying, I'm sorry I do not think my cat would be suited to your
family.  Then try again..........

Once you find the family, let them know that you will be popping by
some time in the next 2 weeks to see how the cat is doing. If he is
well adjusting then you know your job is done and if not, then make
it clear that you reserve the right to pull the pet back out and try
again.

Leave the family your contact information so they can reach you if
they decide they do not want the pet. Also leave them the information
on the pet's vet of the past and a medical history.

This looks like a lot to do, but it's for the protection of your cat.

Lorrie