i've seen a number of studies that give rates of infection in the wild, and
in housecat populations--i just don't remember where right now. in NO case
have any of them ever been above 10%, and i think it's actually under 5% for
both.

when they say, "the two most prevalent fatal diseases in cats," they don't
say that that DOESN"T mean they're common....

as for FeLV, it was first identified as an entity in 1964 in glasgow,
scotland. the bigger problem is that FIV was named in either '86 or '87,
during the heyday of the HIV/AIDS panic. and the name itself has killed far
more cats than the virus ever will.

but the point about there not being any cats left were these two so deadly
is vital to remember--unfortunately, it's even more true for FIP--which is
neither infectious, nor peritonitis: FIP tends to kill much more quickly, so
if it were contagious, there wouldn't be catteries, or shelters, or
sanctuaries with any cats.....

sometimes i wonder, too, about why we bother testing: as chris says,
ignorance is bliss....

MC

--
Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!