I'm not sure the origin of this line but please consider carrying some ice packs. I traveled two hours, stopped to visit a lady that Kitty apparently didn't care for (she hid under some towels and stayed there for another hour or so in very moderate weather). When we arrived at my holistic vet's, Kitty was very overheated. Luckily I had extremely cold water bottles in a cooler. I travel with ice packs and extremely cold water now....no matter how hot it is. Additionally, this could be a life saver in case of a car breakdown .
On Oct 2, 2010, at 6:36 PM, Sharyl wrote:

Here are some travel tips. I've made several long road trips with my cats. Some will eat in the car and some will wait until we get settled in a motel for the night. I take several jars of meat baby food for the road. Most truck stops have a microwave oven so you can gently warm the baby food. I carry a bottle of water just for Pequita, my CRF kitty. At every stop I'd syringe 10 cc's of water to her.

I've found a large carrier works well. In the back it will hold a small aluminum pan filled with litter. I put the food and water in when I stop. I have back problems and need to stop every couple of hours for a stretch. I carry a med. size rubbermaid tub with litter for the motel. I set up the litter box, food and water in the motel bathroom.

Feliway spray for the carriers and motel rooms well help settle the cats.

Can you check now to see if the area you are moving to has a vet familiar with FeLV?

Good luck
Sharyl

--- On Sat, 10/2/10, Anndrea DeLozier <unspecifie...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Anndrea DeLozier <unspecifie...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Update on our Lydia
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Saturday, October 2, 2010, 1:28 PM
Oh, I guess I hadn't put her name in
the first message, so I can see why
people don't know what I'm talking about :)

The heading was:

[Felvtalk] Questions about FeLV

My name came up as:

A D

And it was posted:
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 00:26:52 -0700

Anyway, any idea how much Pet Tinic I should give her?

Any thoughts on an iron supplement? Liquid seems to be the
way to go :)

Also, and I hope I don't sound too dumb.but can kitty have
human blood in a
transfusion?

And/Or, can her sister (if she's FeLV negative) donate
blood to her?
Biological sister, not adopted sister :)

Would a vet do a transfusion from one cat to another? Any
idea if it would
be extremely expensive?

We are going to be moving 1400 miles away, and we leave on
the 15th. It'll
take a few days to get there. I know that will be stressful
on her, is there
anything I can do to make it any less stressful? Like if
she rides on
someone's lap instead of in a crate.or get one of those
"calming collars"
I've seen at Walmart.? They have some kind of pheromone or
something on
them, I think.?

There will be other cats in crates, and 2 dogs possibly in
crates, possibly
not, but the dogs and this cat get along very well.

She has continued to eat baby food.not a ton, but some.and
she urinated the
other day (on the floor - missed the box, I guess) and it
was a very
"string" yellow color, but not orange, brown, or red.like
a.hi-liter yellow,
but really concentrated. Like if you hi-lited the same spot
on a piece of
paper over and over.hope that makes some sense.lol.

She's still real yellow-skinned (and paw pads and nose and
gums). She has
been more alert the last few days, but still not active
much.

The vet she saw was very sure that she won't make it. He
kept saying he has
seen cats with the levels in her bloodwork, and it never
turns out good. I
don't expect a miracle (thought it would be nice), but if
she can live for a
while, and not be in pain or discomfort, I have to try.ya
know?

If she makes it until the 15th, and makes the trip, I will
be looking for a
vet that is maybe a bit more optimistic.but realistic,
too.

Oh.and guess what? She was purring for me the other morning
:) That was the
first time I'd heard/felt that in a while.

She seems to not want to be warm. She won't stay under the
covers at night
like she used to, prefers the bare wood floor to the soft
beds, and we even
found her in the empty bathtub yesterday.  Most of her
day is spent in the
top of a tall laundry basket, laying on a fleece blanket.
At night she
sleeps at the foot of our bed.

Anyway, any more info, encouragement, ideas, etc. are
greatly appreciated :)

~Anndrea