I too had this concern as I run a small rescue as well as having
several cats and dogs of my own.  In my 60's, live along female.  I
finally talked to a lawyer while arranging my will and found the thing
that makes me feel best.

I allocated a certain lump sum per animal ($500/cat, $1000/dog as I
couldn't afford to set up a trust altho am still considering that) in
my will for any and all animals alive at the time of my death.  This
money goes to the local no kill shelter or humane society to be used
specifically for each animal with the sole purpose of allowing it to
live its' full, natural life in a healthy and natural manner, adopted
or fostered if possible and NOT to be euthanized unless two vets
concur it is a medical neccessity.

Best I could do but it will hopefully serve the purpose.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can make it more air tight?  I don't
know if I would have much more money than that as I don't own much but
I have asked my one sister to allow it from life insurance if
necessary and she has agreed.

Good luck..... and NEVER allow your animals to go anywhere you haven't
visited and seen several times, at several times of day, unnanounced
if possible.

kat