From: Pam Norman [mailto:pam_nor...@charter.net]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 2:01 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Question re positives & negatives

I am trying to determine what to do with Poppy both now & when the IFA
test results come in. I've been reading & reading & from what I can
gather, the old dictums about NEVER havinig positive & negative cats
even in the same house has been abandoned.  From what I have read, the
general sense is that it's fine for positives & negatives to be in the
same home, but should be separate so there is no chance of exchanging
fluids such as with a bite, but more importantly with mutual grooming.

But I know also that some of you have both positives & negatives really
living together, not separate. Right?

What about if I put Poppy in her condo in the spare bedroom & let me
cats visit, so at  least she SEES other cats.  What is she hisses &
spits?  Would that have a chance of infecting any of mine who were
nosing around her condo?  My feeling is that it would.

Also how effective is the vaccine these days?  I know that some years
ago the figure was about 30% so I never  had any of my cats vaccinated.

Has it been  improved?

Right now we are still waiting for the IFA test for Poppy. And I guess
she needs retesting on that in at least a month. I do NOT want to keep
her alone until then.  We  have a sanctuary for her if she tests IFA
positive cause then we know that she is really positive. But the person
who runs it tells  me that regardless of how she tests on the IFA, she
HAS leukemia. Period.  And would go in with the positive cats. But my
understanding  is that if she is IFA negative, she has a chance of
fighting it off & putting her in with the positives is giving up.  I
think she should only go in with the positives if she tests IFA
positive.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

Pam