From: Lance
Sent: 06/13/13 04:19 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] [OT] congenital peritoneopericardial diaphragmatic hernia

My 11 year old FeLV+, Ember, was diagnosed with a congenital
peritoneopericardial diaphragmatic hernia after CT scans and a consult between
a surgeon and a radiologist. So far, her symptoms haven't been too scary: rapid
breathing (but not open mouth breathing or panting) and an odd posture she
sometimes assumes where she will "stand" with her forelegs and lie down with
her back legs. This tells me that she might be having some discomfort (one lobe
of her liver is involved in the hernia). She settles into lying down without
problem, and she rests normally. The symptoms have only begun in the last few
months, as far as I know (Ember and I weren't in the same part of the world for
almost a year). We'd been fearing cancer, so this would seem to be good news.
The surgeon is gung-ho to take care of business, and he has an excellent
reputation with a lot of experience and education. However, I just spoke to one
of Ember's two vets about this, and he said, "If she were my cat, I don't think
I would do it." He's concerned about moving the liver, and more importantly,
about the surgeon having enough to work with when the hernia is likely
congenital. Has anyone on the list had experience with congenital hernias in
cats? I'd really like to get some more input before I make a decision. Thanks,