That's a tough decision, Lance. It does sound like she may be in pain, which is
a stress, but so is surgery.

 Beth

________________________________
 From: Lance <lini...@fastmail.fm>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] [OT] congenital peritoneopericardial diaphragmatic
hernia

Hi Kat,

That's good advice. As far as I know, Ember has done well with anesthesia.
She's had two dentals in the last three years, and she was anesthetized for the
CT scan two weeks ago. However, the stress of surgery is another consideration.

Since Ember is doing reasonably well (other than a URI she might have right
now), it might be prudent to take care of the hernia since she is showing
symptoms of it. Unfortunately, it's a lot to think about. I'm hoping to talk to
her primary vet today to discuss this some more.

Lance

On Jun 14, 2013, at 7:58 AM, kat <merrykatme...@email.com> wrote:

Hi Lance,

>I have not had experience with congenital hernias - but I would be concerned
>since Ember is FelV+
>
>You might want to check back with her 2 vets about using anesthesia & putting
>her thru the stress of surgery.
>
>Kat (Mew Jersey)

 "If she were my cat, I don't think I would do it." He's concerned about moving
the liver, and more importantly, about the surgeon having enough to work with
when the hernia is likely congenital.  Has anyone on the list had experience
with congenital hernias in cats? I'd really like to get some more input before
I make a decision.  Thanks,  Lance