I have not had any fleas or ticks for the last 4 years.  I have 4 cats, 2 which
go out in the yard which is full of catnip.  I read the other day that since it
is in the mint family, it repels fleas, etc.  The only place AI have had black
ants is on the south side of the house which has no catnip.  It would be worth
a try.  Only problem, you cannot let it go to seed or it will be all over the
place.  An alternative would be to get essential oil, mix it with water and
spray around the entrances to yor house.