Interferon is widely used in the human world as an anti -viral. It's had great use for
Hep B & C, hairy cell leukemia, and some types of cancers related to AIDS. It also
helps our felv and fiv kitties in much the same way. It's supposed to block the
replication of the viral cells, thus reducing the virus in the cat's system. It also
helps in the production of lymphocytes (virus fighting white cells). I'm not sure
about the U.S., but here in Canada, you can only get interferon from a university
veterinary hospital pharmacy. It's cheap and easy to use. I've attached an email from
another list member who details much about this drug. Many on this list have differed
on opinions about using it for cats who are not showing symptoms. Personally I use it
on my kittie, even tho he's not showing symptoms. I'm trying to keep the virus at low
levels so that he does not get sick.

There's tons of information on the internet, but here's a blurb on it....also I would
think that at this point, most vets should have at least heard of interferon, if not
for cat use, then at least for human use. It's been around for many years.

sue

There are three main classes of interferon, alpha, beta, and gamma. They
are members of the family of protein factors called cytokines which form
the basis of the chemical control of all immune response. Both alpha and
beta interferon are NOT just a single protein, but have a number of
genes related to them that produce a number of different proteins which
are called "alpha" or "beta". Gamma interferon is different in that it
is a single protein.

That is why you see the label Alpha Interferon 2A, or 2B, as it refers
to the indiviual protein species of alpha interferon. There are -- if my
memory serves me -- 26 species of alpha interferon give or take one or
two if my memory isn't serving today. Research is still underway on
several other types of alpha interferon and over time we will likely see
others added.

As a cytokien, the interferons have many different and interactive
properties that act as switches turning the immune system off and on, to
stop production of other cytokiens, or to trigger the production of
others. BY AND LARGE THE EFFECTS OF THE INTERFERONS ARE ANTI-VIRAL IN NATURE BUT THEY
ALSO, ESPECIALLY ALPHA AND BETA INTERFERONS HAVE IMPORTANT IMMUNO-MODULATING EFFECTS
AS WELL!

Beta interferon under the trade name betatron is used widely now to
treat severe cases of M.S.. In doing so its positive effect is not from
an anti-viral direction but purely through its effects as an
immuno-modulator in TURNING OFF immune responses, instead of increasing
them. Immune over activation is the under lying cause of M.S. damage to
the nerves and so effective treatment is to turn the immune response
off. Beta interferon provides the means to switch some of the key immune
system actions off in M.S..

Alpha interferon also has both strong anti-viral and immune-modulating
effects. At high dose it is a potent anti-viral agent. At low dose it
has more immune-modulating actions.

So in the doses used for oral interferon in FeLV it is the
immune-modulating actions of interferon instead of purely anti-viral
actions that are coming into play. These could be anything from shutting
down some types of hyper-immune activation that always is a part of all
retroviral infections like FeLV, FIV, and HIV/AIDS, and stimulating the
production of certain types of immune system cells, T-calls and B-cells
needed to carry out a proper immune response to keep the FeLV virus in
check.

In high dose alpha interferon as does gamma interferon, has anti-cancer
actions by their effect on NK cells and through the release of other
cytokiens.

Alpha interferon has been, and can be used to treat FeLV and FIV in both
high-dose as part of an aggressive anti-viral treatment along with such
drugs as AZT, or in low dose for its immuno-modulating actions.

Since the alpha interferon used in cats is of human orgin it does
trigger antibody production against it. This antibody response is
totally dose limited. The higher the dose the quicker the animal builds
up antibodies which destroy the interferon. Using high dose of a million
or more units resistance occurs with in 5 to 7 weeks floowing direct
injection. The doses used in oral treatment of cats, usually 30 units
per CC will take a very long time, likely years before any antibodies
form against it and it stops having an effect.

Hope this helps explain what interferon is and why it is used in
treating FeLV.

As always;

J Truman

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/07/99 12:26pm >>>
Hi everyone,
    I am very curious to know what type of drug Interferon is and how it
helps FeLV + kitties?  Do most Vets carry this product and if not is it hard
to get?  Do FeLV cats have to have certain symptoms in order to take this
product?
    I have 3 positive cats.  2 of which I adopted to save from death and I
would love to do anything to to make their lives 100%.
    I work at a Vet here in CT and all 3 Dr. haven't even heard of it.  So I
would love to give them some new info.
    All comments are appreciated!
Thanks Terri,MooMoo,Smokey, and Poopsie