Cherrot wrote:
> message from Cherrot <carrot0...@gmail.com> to festival-talk
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> Recently I have successfully build the Festival 2.1, but it just can't
> make a sound!
>
> festival> (SayText "Hello World")
> Linux: can't open /dev/dsp
> #<Utterance 0xb6908248>

Check the ownership on /dev/dsp, and if appropriate make sure your user
is in the right group to have write access to it.

> How could I solve this problem? Can't festival 2.1 use pulseAudio & ALSA
> as its audio output device?

Try using 'padsp festival' instead of just 'festival' when running it,
because you may need to use that wrapper for /dev/dsp to exist in that
context.
/
Also, see if you have got the package for the alsa pulseaudio plugin
installed. It possibly comes in the 'pulseaudio-alsa' package. I use
Fedora, rather than Ubuntu so I can't be certain.

Hope that helps. Good luck. Trying to get festival working when your
distribution doesn't natively use the right sound server is a major pain
in the behind. I've got page after page of notes on it having had to
find out the hard way :-/
/
I guess if there were enough interest I could clean the notes up into a
HOWTO to save other people this kind of pain?

K.

--
Kev "Kyrian" Green.                        WWW: http://kyrian.ore.org/
Linux Security + Hosting + Admin/LAMP Coder @ http://www.orenet.co.uk/

      When I spit in the eye of the gods, then I will smile