OK, I admit - I splurged without thinking it
through, based on lovely colors, and bought 24
ounces of Lincoln roving.  I was figuring a
sweater - I've lost 60 pounds and making sweaters
for myself now seems doable.  I've made dozens of
sweaters for others and not one for myself for
decades, literally - time for a change! :)

This is very soft Lincoln, not prickly next to the
skin, though when spun it's not as soft of course.
  It's quite shiny, lacks crimp so won't have any
elasticity to speak of.  It requires more twist
than I'm used to doing to make a nice-looking
yarn, but with the espinner that's OK.  I was
thinking 3 ply, just because I usually 3-ply
anymore, and I think it's a good choice with this
wool to avoid the yarn looking stringy, based on a
quick couple of small samples I spun up (I've got
several major projects stacked up right now, so
won't have time to really work on this until
probably January).

The color is two-toned:  a soft butterscotchy
yellow sandwiched between two streaks of a soft
warm green, kind of celery-ish (doncha love these
technical color descriptions? :)  The result is
the colors blend pretty well on the whole, and
candystriping isn't real obvious because the
values are quite similar.  It also means the color
isn't real interesting, and I may decide to
overdye the finished yarn.

The fact it's both Lincoln and roving means I
can't get the best of either the smooth combed
wool world or the fuzzy wooly roving world.  The
yarn halos a little, but not like mohair.
Irregularities shine out because of the sheen, and
are common because of the roving (which is very
good quality, but that's just the way roving is).

So, currently I'm thinking a sport-weight 3-ply
yarn with some extra twist (20 degrees) in the
singles.  But I can't quite imagine what would be
a good knitting stitch to use.  I think the color
variations won't be enough to keep stockinette
stitch from being a total bore.  It might do well
with a knit-purl combo.  A simple lace pattern
might be nice, but the irregularities and possibly
the halo might detract.  I don't want to do cables
for this project, unless maybe just a few
sprinkled about to contrast with other stitches.

Anyone have any ideas?

Holly