I have been working on various knitting yarns from a flock of Coopworths.
So it should be a similar story, long locks, medium coarse, low crimp, very
strong.  So far I have spun 3 types of yarns.  First was  a 2 ply worsted
weight and sport weight,  3.5 and 5 tpi respectively (these tpi are

similar twist as a basic medium wool spun as knitting yarns).  That was
almost twine like and would make great outer wear jackets and sweaters with
lots of textured knitting.  The fiber pops out any textured pattern.  It
would also make wonderful pile for rugs but that is a different tangent.
Then I did a soft spun one ply in worsted weight.  That is rather similar to
Lopi yarns with the same issues except not being a dual coat so it shows as
more shine and less fuzz.  It is very strong but a little dense and heavy.
Then I did a soft spun 3 ply worsted, I tried to match twist so that the
plyed yarn was the same as the single ply, about 1 tpi.  Next comes a soft
spun 2 ply sport weight.  I will aim for maybe 2 tpi.  All yarns spun semi
worsted on a ring spinning frame.  The mechanics and way of thinking about
spinning are the same as when I sit down at my Reeves.

So from what you have said, Holly, I am thinking you can loosen your twist
on that yarn a bit more and the length and strength of the Lincoln will hold
it.  That will help incorporate more air into the yarn and maximize its
softness.  I would play with the lovely colors you can get and think like
clouds of subtle color changes.  Maybe use knit purl as a subtle way to
deepen and lighten the color shifts, like shadows.

My 2 cents anyrate.

Cheers,

Turan