Well, I tried a low-twist singles, and am not
happy with the results.  The roving is pretty
good, though not like my drum-carded batts, but
there's not enough fiber in the roving to spin a
low-twist singles larger than a fingering weight
(18 wpi).  It's sort of pretty, but the sample has
a definite slant even without wet finishing, in
spite of the lowest twist I can give it and retain
structural integrity.  It's just as scratchy as
the small plied samples I've spun.

I'm starting to think this was definitely NOT a
good buy for me!

Another possibility would be to spin up the
Lincoln for weaving, and spin some alpaca/Shetland
blends I've been stashing for a sweater, and do a
backed double-weave cloth to make a coat from.
Since the alpaca blend would be on the inside, it
would be both softer and warmer than the Lincoln
alone.

I've got a doubleweave vest planned for our guild
wool exchange project.   It will be the first time
I've used singles handspun in any sort of
doubleweave project.  If the warp stands up to
that OK, I'll feel emboldened to try the
Lincoln/alpaca idea.

Holly