My favorite double drive wheel is the CPW (Bordua) where I adjust the
tension by "whacking the maidens" while spinning and don't lose any time or
momentum.
That said, I have quite a collection of wheels and the real difference that
I find in the various tensioning methods is actually in the yarn. For medium
to fine yarns that need a firm twist - double drive is lovely as it twists
right up until the yarn winds on. For lofty knitting yarn that will be
plied, the Scotch tension is my preferred wheel. The Irish (think Louet)
tension pulls so quickly that it is very easy to produce softly spun yarns -
even at large diameters. And that is only talking in terms of "sweet
spots" - an experienced spinner can draft the fiber in nuanced ways to
influence how the wheel is handling things.
The endless discussions about slippage, measuring twists per inch, whether
the wheel keeps turning when you stop, starting without using a finger to
start the wheel, double or single treadle are all secondary to the yarn
being produced. Yes, in a spinning mill, the tpi must be set prior to the
spinning process for consistency - they are also using predrafted fiber that
is practically the right diameter for the intended yarn. In a mill setting
everything needs to be in proper adjustment or the machinery will produce
garbage yarn far more quickly than with a hand spinning wheel. Applying
industrial thinking to a spinning wheel in your living room isn't so clear
cut.
When a spinner drafts fiber by hand, there is NOT a consistent amount of
fiber going to the bobbin from a machine. The hardest part of spinning
consistent yarn is less with the wheel but with the spinner. Once you have
developed a smooth method of drawing out fiber into the diameter of yarn
desired with the "right" feel - you "just do it". Believe it or not, you can
actually feel how much twist is in that yarn and when to let it in without
firm counting methodology - but only with considerable practice and
experience.
Funny is that the relationship between producing yarn on a spinning wheel
and the control of the process with a simple treadle mechanism and simple
drive band with slippage seems to be a healthy one. When there is little or
no slippage and constant speed - as with most modern electric spinners -
seasoned spinners often complain because they cannot instinctively
coordinate hands and feet to adjust for, say, a clump of fiber that doesn't
draft as well as the rest of the batt or roving. (I realize that especially
for anyone with a disability, the e-spinner is a great tool).
And just FYI - over the years Ii have tried and even owned wheels made by
the latest "popular" wheel makers, the "special" ones, and quite frankly
they all spin, most spin well, but there is some point where the prices
exceed the perceived advantage of such wheels. My current collection are all
"factory" wheels by companies that procuce(d) many wheels - like the old
Beetles, they don't carry that Porsche image but they do get you where you
want to go.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sa...@powercom.net

http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck